Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Sticks and stones

Being a long way away from one’s friends makes one vulnerable to attracting bizarre and absurd nicknames. A) Living in the desert and B) working for an airline (albeit in the communications department), you could say I’m asking for it. At another level, I have in many ways (to draw upon a phrase exhausted by my media theory lecturer) become ‘exoticised’.

My ex-housemate now calls me Sand-Pimperoo. Greenpant’s new name for me is Turbinfanny, and he wants to know whether I am working for Al Jazeera yet. Camel-jockey - I’ve heard more than once.

Racoon: How many towel-heads are you pulling?

C4: So tell me Heddles….you selling cheap flights these days…?
Me: No. I'm afraid I only point out emergency exits.
C4: And the brace position? That’s my personal favourite position….

I get the ‘beef or chicken’ line rather a lot.

Because I am a good sport, I let all this slide.

Last night I had the most entertaining long distance chat with my ex-roommate in from varisty. I had a missed call from her and immediately I panicked. Call me dramatic. Either something horrendous must have happened, or she was going to tell me she was gestating a child (which some would argue amounts to the same). So I phoned her back.

Me: Speak to me.
Response: [Crazed laughter]

90% of the call, we cackled like two old sissies dishing up mixed grill for res students. I blew 40 Dirhams in 5 minutes to listen to her absolutely pissing herself, while I did the same. We wheezed. We guffawed. We choked. And in between, asked eachother the same question repeatedly, “how ... thefuck ... are you?!” [Haaaaaa ... hahahaha!] “No, no - how are YOU!?”.

She’s a fine beast of a woman.

Look, we had our highs and lows during that colourful year of practically living in each other’s armpits in the room we named The Petting Zoo (for various reasons). Her lighting up a Stuyvie at 8am on a Sunday morning in bed, didn’t sit so well with me. I’ll reserve the less savoury details of our outlandish existence in that cesspit of laundry tubs of cane and cream soda and the results thereof for another post. In short, our res warden hated our living guts. We have a shoe box full of fines and disciplinary hearings summonses and a trunk full of … repossessed … clothing, which speaks for itself.

It is great to know that not even a continent, a marriage, and dramatically divergent lifestyles could come in between that good old-fashioned hysteria.

12 comments:

High in Dubai said...

You exoticised... Never... To me you will always be a Saffer - Boskak and Rumah (Spur song) for life!!!! Rumah, rumah, rumah!

Best you start camel-jockeying yourself up for tonight!

kotters said...

H - was the girl on the bat phone the young lady who was lets just say was “reserved” at the Bunker opening show?

In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

Heddles said...

Show me the camel Dubai! And make it exotic!

K - correct. Some bitterness I detect?

kotters said...

bitterness. Ha. She missed out. I was perfect gentlemen for a horned up 3rd year.

sad really.

High in Dubai said...

I will be spanking camel and kicking hoof all over the place! U like that?

kotters said...

High, i'm not letting you near the dance floor.

kotters said...

Its for all the girls safety.

Heddles said...

Kot, throwing golf balls in girls' drinks is not gentlemanly. Let Dubai shake what his mamma gave him if he likes.

YES DUBAI, I like that!

High in Dubai said...

K-dog, it's cool, I will only be drinking masafi water and leave at 10. So it will be safe for all involved...

Well if you don't inadvertently get some-one arrested!

kotters said...

masafi and vodka more like it.

I was in my element that night.

heddles- I'm on my best behaviour tonight.

Heddles said...

Masafi WHAT? masafi WHO?!

Whaddeva.

I will believe that when I see it captain prawn.

High in Dubai said...

My liver, woke up this morning and asked to be diluted with some H20 fergadsakes! Who am I kidding. Load up!

Kotters on best behaviour - you got jokes?