Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The long distance call

I love the drive to work. Generally I crank up my aircon, followed by my radio. And I sing at the top of my lungs and in between I swear a lot, at bus-drivers overtaking in the wrong lane.

On Sunday and Monday’s trips in this week, my eyes were still half-closed, (see previous Insomnia posts), but today I am fresh from last night’s nine-hour vrek. At 06:25 am this morning I hit Sheikh Zayed Road in a splendid mood.

Sometimes I tune into the SA Radio 2000 equivalent, ‘The hooooome of classic hiiiits’. This only happens occasionally, when I am not into the R&B / Dropthapresshaaaaaa vibe of Radio 1.

It is the stuff my moonbag and rockies-wearing aunt and uncle would listen to. Dubai’s ‘hooooome of classic hiiiits’ plays a lot of Roy Orbison and Cliff Richard. If you’re lucky you’ll get some Bob Marley or some Fleetwood Mac.

Anyway. This particular morning, this Paul Simon song came on, when out of nowhere, I got these goose bumps:

It was a slow day,
And the sun was beating
On the soldiers by the side of the road,
There was a bright light -


So I turned down my aircon. Still had the goose bumps. So then I turned the radio up.

These are the days of miracle and wonder,
This is the long distance call,
The way the camera follows us in slo-mo
The way we look to us all,
The way we look to a distant constellation
That's dying in a corner of the sky,
These are the days of miracle and wonder
And don't cry baby don't cry
Don't cry -


And I was crying. Crikey. My eyes welled up with the emotion of it all. All of a sudden I was back at age five, at one of my folks’ raucous parties and Paul was pumping from the hi-fi and I was skipping around the pepper tree dodging the cans of Amstel and the potjie pot, wearing my grandmother’s long silk gloves and shorts and my home-made cardboard tiara, singing like a banshee and I was so damn happy.

There is something SO nostalgic about that song. It’s amazing. It is so growing up in South Africa.

Last time I heard it I was on a mate’s i-pod on a grey miserable day on a bus from Leeds to London, packed with unhappy looking northerners, and someone in front of me was eating these offensive-smelling cheesecurls, (but the prawn version).

Man it makes me homesick.

16 comments:

High in Dubai said...

Music attached to memories... The sounds of our youth, oh Heddles you've got me all contemplative and mushy...

That pure innocence, is just something we can never get back! Scary, but oh so true!

Do you think old Paul Simon knows what an influence his music has on generations of South Africans?

Heddles said...

If Paul had heard me hollering his choon at full volume I think he would have issued a restraining order!

It is crazy what memories songs can bring back.

Peas on Toast said...

Loving your blog Heddles. Am going to link you to mine - is that ok?

Heddles said...

Peas, you're my HERO! Will link to yours you little biscuit.

Peas on Toast said...

Awesome, yay! :)

kotters said...

peddles my roly-poly little bat-faced girl, i'm going to make you springboks till you drop tomorrow night.

I miss trees.

Heddles said...

roly-poly has bad connotations kotty. come on. you can do better.

show me the springboks!

i might just do the bumdance.

miss greenery too.

kotters said...

Honestly I forgot that he liked that song. It was in fact my CD the doos stole.

Bet he cherishes it now...

sage- are you going bowling tonight?

Heddles said...

Nope, not bowling china. I have the call to watch Trinny and Susannah and do facemasks with my Mommy. Sure you love that!

Dave said...

Heddles and Kotters; do yourselves a favour and order the Paul Simon African Graceland Concert DVD - live in Harare. Stars Mr Simon, Hugh Masekela, Miriam Makeba, Ladysmith Black M... et al. Think it was done in the early 80's. He was banned from having the concert in SA. Has some absolute ripper tunes -

Heddles said...

Oh wow. Definitely getting that one. Orange - please add to the list of stuff you're bringing me from SA.

kotters said...

dave - I'm sure i've seen that DVD at your place. Can only be better than some of the DVD's that dude at your gran's farm had. I must of counted at least a dozen Steve Hofmeyer covers.

I'll def look around when i'm in SA. Bud, where's my cd?

Heddles - enjoy 'em face masks and make sure your pops doesnt feel left out.

S

ps: in coffee shop. so random.

Heddles said...

Orange, a coffee shop. Please eat something! Pops is going out, hence girls night. We're having vino but I will try keep the smut talk to a minimum.

Dave - never - are you the 'doos' who stole his CD?

kotters said...

H, my friend. Its rude to talk about one's eating habits in the public domain.

Yes, Dave you are the one that stole my prized CD which cost me 50 RAND from that excuse of a cd shop on high street.

Its nearly 12am and I still cant sleep. cheese and rice it breaks me.

See you all at the house party.

I'm pumped.

kotters said...

Heddles my desert ranger I forgot to congratulate you on how skilful and enjoyable your posts are. You are one talented rand refugee and Johnny clegg would be proud!

Heddles said...

Agent, I am truly touched. Thanks mate.