Thursday, June 21, 2007

Great words

For unknown reasons, certain words hold immense appeal for me. Mention one of them, and it is all I can do to prevent myself from cracking apart at the sides with pure mirth.

Sometimes it is not even necessary for someone to even physically utter the words to induce hysteria. There are days when I will be brushing my teeth/applying mascara/pulling up to a four-way stop, and out of NOWHERE a Tourettes-like guffaw will escape me at the mere thought of any of the following [note: disturbingly, most are Afrikaans]:

Boep (SO much better than ‘paunch’)
Possum (the creature)
Vatlappie (oven gloves – shit what a pearler!)
Boskak (why, why is it such a funny goddamn word?)

Maybe my subconscious dredges up associations based on memories of funny farkers actually saying them with particular relish.

In the same way, it is amusing calling people by other people’s names.

From: Heddles
Sent: 21 June 2007 07:52 AM
To: mate
Subject: Dank Die Here Dis Donderdag

Hi Bob Marley

Thanks so much for a smashing dinner, I swear that was the best lasagne EVER. Garfield would have DIED!

Once I was called Bok van Blerk before I even knew who Bok van Blerk was. I laughed for days.

It is hilarious to throw random names like Salman Rushdie/ PJ Powers/ Kenny Rogers / Queen Latifah into emails/texts. The good Lord only knows why.

6 comments:

High in Dubai said...

Boskak - hilarious!!! Will never forget that word!

Fave words:
Cracker, Koek, Proe, Groovy

Fave gangsta words:
G-unit, Ho, muthafucka, shizz

kotters said...

What happened to VIVA PHUZA THURSDAY posts?

High in Dubai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
High in Dubai said...

Kotters,

Variety is the spice of life.

Besides, Heddles was trying to explain in George (Dubya) Bush style last night: that friday is the new thursday and sunday is the new fri... no no... Saturday is the new thursday... no...

K.M. said...

My good friend Golden Beagle calls me "Poesbek" from time to time...we don't know what it means or from where it originates, but it slays me everytime!! Hell, it's probably the height of political incorrectness, but political-correctness se gat! (another of my favourites!)

Heddles said...

Dubai - HO is always a winner!! WAHhahaha!

Kotters - I can't win with you.

DBWW - hahahah! POESBEK has now been added into my repertoir! BISCUIT.