Sunday, June 24, 2007

Insomnia please release me

I’m less awake than a sea cucumber slumbering on the barrier reef.

Insomnia Part II got me. There is absolutely nothing worse than desperately needing to drop a Z and not being able to. Last night’s mind interference was akin to having Motley Crue jamming (unplugged) in my room.

Struck up a reading session at midnight. After an hour or so of this I generally begin to feel like Silvia Plath. Disembodied. Dislocated. Out of synch with the world. It is weird being awake when everyone else is out for the count and you just wish you were too and instead you have a family of wraiths breathing on you.*

Then I started thinking about that reality show in the UK, ‘Shattered’. I think the poor sod who eventually won it by staying awake for the longest made it to 11 days minus his forty winks. Personally, I would rather be forced into cannibalism.

Despite the exhaustion, I am a human production line. Cranking out decisions, dominating meetings, churning out concise, informative emails. It may be the detachment that comes with being worn out. Margaret Thatcher said that to operate at one’s optimum, one should be ‘a little tired, and a little hungry’.

Bugger that. Tonight I am going to snort a Somnil.


*In keeping with yesterday’s Adrian Mole theme, my mind was a Pandora’s Box. Whaaaahaaaa.

5 comments:

High in Dubai said...

Working on half a brain, half a night of sleep, half a bottle of red wine - I have had the most productive week for the last 3 weeks... and it's only Monday!

Guess Margaret was onto something.

I guess Scar Tissue has made a mark on you... snorting somnils - perhaps it's time we put down the scar tissue and start with little old Adrian again!

Heddles said...

You go Dubai!

I guess I could always try snorting the Mole Diaries. Might make for some nasty paper-cuts though.

High in Dubai said...

I doubt the diaries will give you a good buzz...

Corporate Slave #45793 said...

I dont sleep any more.

The halucinations are not that bad once you get used to them.

Heddles said...

Would you say you are a Slave to Insomnia?