Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Kulcha Club

There’s this knock you’re supposed to take on the chin after your first 6 months in Dubai. Expats here talk about it. It’s called Kulcha Shock.

The whole thing is well documented in leading expat literature (of the variety that is humbly minus-the-pith-helmet). Jeremy Williams wrote this handy manual, Don’t They Know It’s Friday: Cross-Cultural Considerations for Business and Life in the Gulf, basically giving practical advice on how to deal with it. A lot of folks hit this psychological wall as they battle to come to terms with living in an alien social matrix with a very different set of codes and understandings than they are used to.

The weird thing is, Dubai is quite like SA in terms of lifestyle. There’s the whole sun, sea and sand vibe (OK, more sand). Supersport and Carte Blanche are on tap: Saffas living here have their satellites hooked up to DSTV via Zambia (oops). Spinneys, the Spar equivalent, is better stocked up with Mrs Balls, boerie, and a myriad of rusk varieties, than Makro. We get on with our lives here as we would at home with almost no interruption: work, gym, beach, and on the weekends, we like to booze-it booze-it.

Same-same, but different. We’re living in a Muslim country, ruled by a Sheikh after all.

I discussed this with Jeanpant. While the majority of your time is a cruise, there can be this uneasy, queasy, inexplicable feeling the other 10% of the time. Which, given the situation here, is hardly surprising. “There are men walking past you in dish dashes and women in abayas everywhere you look fergodsake!”. We’re just not used to it.

Against this back-drop, we become the ‘uncovered’ women. I can’t really say that driving behind a bus bursting at the seams with exploited construction workers is always a comfortable experience.

There’s always the one watcher in the back row, craning his helmeted head for signs of a pair of mammary glands on the roads. With his heat-seeker smut-gaze successfully on lock, his compadres immediately sense it, and within seconds another 27 heads have swiveled. Some get out of their seats and blatantly turn around to face the back. Seriously, uncool.

That said, I’m aware of the risk taken and that in some contexts I may have just sounded like an ignorant, culturally intolerant tosser. Throw me a bone. It happened to me yesterday and so I am still freshly pissed off. Yet it is a reality, that 10% of the time.

My daily interactions with such a diverse spectrum of people is something I wouldn’t swop for anything right now. What is so amazing about Dubai and the UAE is that Arabic culture has fully embraced foreign influences, without losing any of its core beliefs and traditions.

The explosive expansion of the place demands skills and labour from abroad. For the most part, the needs of the imports are not only accommodated, but are of interest to most UAE nationals. Speak to a national and when they hear your accent it’s all about “how do you find Dubai?”

I haven’t hit my official 6-month wobbly yet but if and when it comes, I’m all over it.

9 comments:

High in Dubai said...

Hey Heddles,

I think you make an excellent point... I had my kulcha shock (10%) early on, looking like I am a migrant labourer (purely by colour of skin, I assure you) was quite scary when I got launched (very sternly told to get) off the beach. Simply because those same people that stare you down - go to the beach and do it as well.

I thought it hadn't gotten to me, because well life is good here... But the sad fact is I have only been back to the beach once... weird but oh so true...

Heddles said...

Holy shit. I never knew that. That is horrible ... feeling like my whinings are a little unjustified by comparison Dubai. Sorry you had to go through that.

High in Dubai said...

Listen, I is a big boy so it's not really that big a deal. But it puts into perspective what I love about SA...

Koekie said...

Gawd. Uncomfortable. It sounds so interesting though - for the most part. Like the fact that you work Sundays?? I don't think I'd be able to wrap my little brain around that. When are your weekends then?

Heddles said...

koeks most of us get fridays and saturdays off. except our friend The Paki, who doesn't get weekends

kotters said...

Peddles, I doubt you'll get 6 month wobblies, sometimes it all just falls into place. Whats the story with faithless? AED 275, thats alot of Zim dollars?

Heddles said...

have purchased my faithless ticket agent ... will be throwing myself off the stage like a ragdoll! tell me you're coming!

saw them twice in london and hell's teeth ...

Champagne Heathen said...

Hi Heddles, a mate of yours directed me this way, and then I discover a whole bunch of my dodgy other mates here (Koeks being a particularly dodgy one!).

I'm enjoying your writing and insights and I know what you're talking about to it all seeming like you have known life, but there is just some element that makes the whole experience happen in a parallel world. You can't explain it, because it's not comparable to the life you lived, it's not even in the same concept zone.

Anyway...if you do hit that 6 month wobble, all the best for it!

Heddles said...

Champers, thank you. I think I am becoming immune to surprise as to how damn small this world is!

A friend (possibly the same one!) also directed me to yours, and I've become a regular on your spot. Happy 1st birthday btw!

You're so right re: those moments that totally throw you/disjointing your entire frame of reference. glad i'm not the only one!